The Kouga shinobi dogs are a clan of fierce, made up breed of shinobi dogs, renown for their agile, speed, and strength. Led originally by Kurojaki in Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, eventually the leadership passes to his son Tesshin in Ginga Densetsu Weed. The Kouga clan has a warring history with their rivals, the Iga clan.
Kougas in Ginga Nagareboshi GinEdit
The Kougas are an ancient shinobi dog clan. They originally had human masters who eventualy died out and the dogs were left alone in wilderness. They're mortal enemies of Akame and the other Iga shinobi dogs in their mission to steal ancient scrolls from the Iga dogs.
They're currently cannibalistic in nature from the order of their leader Kurojaki. Kurojaki believes that eating their opponents will make them stronger.
The Kougas first appear when a one throws a piece of dog meat for a hungry Hyena. The Kougas disappear when Gin and others show up. Hyena starts to eat the meat, not knowing its origin, but Smith tries to take it away from him but eventually lets him eat. Akatora reveals that the flesh is dog meat which causes Smith to puke behind a tree. This ugly truth also shocked Hyena that he felt sick. The Kougas had been spying on the dogs for long and fled from the scene. However, the only Koga dog whom Gin had caught was Maya who faked his death from his head injury to the Ouu Soldiers.
After the Ohu Soldiers were gone, Maya got up and rushed to Kurojaki to reveal the plans. In the end, at the final battle the Kougas were defeated by the Igas with the help of Gin and the Ohu Soldiers and they resigned to their fate - to join in with the Ou Soldiers. However, Kurojaki was distraught with the defeat and the burning Iga house (which Akame set on fire) that he committed suicide by jumping to the flames. Soon after that, the Koguas decided to follow their leader and were burnt to death. Akame describes their deaths as honorable for ninjas because they died for the mission. Only one Kouga is shown to have survived the fire who is the Kouga Elder, who in GDW seems to have taken over leadership for some time before Tesshin takes over.
Kougas in Ginga Densetsu WeedEditThe Kougas also appeared in the sequel but this time, they are a different generation of Kouga Dogs who are led by the kindhearted Tesshin and are shown to have more of a peaceful nature even though in the manga when Weed arrives in koga territory with the others the Elder disapproves and wishes for Tesshin to fight against Weed but he refuses. In the anime, their fur is coloured black and grey, while the manga colours still are red-brown.
List of Kouga Dogs in Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu WeedEdit
- Kurojaki - Leader of the Kougas in GNG, and father of Tesshin. He was also the enemy of Igas' leader, Akame.
- Maya - One of the subordinates who pretended to be dead in GNG
- Tesshin - Son of Kurojaki. Previously known as Chibi in GNG, was taken as a hostage by the vengeful Wilson and was later saved by Cross after being accidentally knocked off the cliff by the enraged Kurojaki. After the Kougas defeat, Chibi was adopted by the Ouu Soldiers who later grew up as a wise, kindhearted soldier and was renamed as Tesshin. Tesshin takes over as a leader of the new generation of the Kouga clan.
- The Kouga Elder - In the manga, he is an old Kouga dog who previously has a deep grudge against Gin, Weed and any Ouu Soldiers, he is also hairless and scarred due to surviving from the fire. In the anime version, his scars and hatred are absent.
- Toshimitsu - One of the Kouga dogs from GDW.
- Sikikage - One of the Kouga dogs from GDW.
- Samu - One of the Kouga dogs from GDW.
- Shinbe - A Kouga dog from GDW who was killed by the Bozlef's soldiers in Hokkaido arc.