Originally he is a non-brindle silver Akita Inu and wears a dark brown collar.
In a newer picture, he is seen with white fur and a green collar.
Like Riki and Gin, Shiro is strong, brave, charismatic and well respected among humans and dogs alike.
Ginga Densetsu RikiEdit
Shiro was Riki's father and Yamabuki's mate. He was owned by the hunter, Takeda Gohei, who had trained him into one of the best hunting dogs. Shiro saved Riki after he found him badly beaten up, drifting in the river, and told him how to become great.
On a hunt for the wild bear Akakabuto, Shiro and Takeda Gohee were ambushed and needed to struggle for their lives. As Riki rushed in to help, Shiro saw an option to save his owner and his son by pushing Akakabuto and himself into a valley.
Ginga Nagareboshi GinEdit
In the start of episode one, there is a flashback of Shiro and Takeda Gohee hunting Akakabuto. Gohee lost his ear in the battle against Akakabuto. Shiro attackd Akakabuto to protect him and they both fell into the valley, Shiro biting Akakabuto's muzzle. Akakabuto survived, but Shiro did not.
"Don't cry, boy. You're bullied because you do!"
- Shiro telling Riki not to cry.Ginga Densetsu Riki
"You chose your own destination! Stay strong until you reach it!"
- Shiro telling Riki not to give up.Ginga Densetsu Riki
"The weak will die. That is the world of the dogs!"
- Shiro explaining Riki his worldview.Ginga Densetsu Riki
"In the world of the dogs, there cannot be justice without power!"
- Shiro telling Riki that he needs to be strong to make the world more rightful.Ginga Densetsu Riki
"I'll never give up! The bear dog fights to the last!"
- Shiro's last words.Ginga Densetsu Riki
- In the GNG anime and possibly in the original manga, Shiro was portrayed as a stripeless silver Akita very similar in appearance to his grandson Gin.
- In some even earlier manga pictures, Shiro was portrayed as a pale red Akita similar in appearance to his great great grandson Koshiro.
See more pictures in Shiro (Photo Gallery).